The Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie (IZSVe) is a public veterinary Institute, whose aim is the preservation of public health, in terms of food safety and prevention of zoonoses, and animal welfare, in terms of animal health and living conditions. This is achieved by focusing on four main areas: prevention and control of animal diseases, control of foodborne pathogens, research, training and communication.
To fight the major health issues posed by the spread of new or re-emerging diseases, the IZSVe provides technical support to the private and public sectors using the most technologically advanced methods and equipment. The IZSVe hosts 8 International Reference Laboratories.
Further details available at the following address:
The IZSVe departments involved in the LIDISKI project are the Research & Innovation and Virology Departments which host National/European Union (EURL)/OIE/FAO Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza (AI) and Newcastle Disease (ND) and the Epidemiology Department, which is the OIE Collaborating Center for Epidemiology, Training and Control of Emerging Avian diseases. The EU/OIE/FAO Reference Laboratories for AI and ND function as centre of expertise with the aim of ensuring availability and use of high-quality diagnostic and control tools, providing scientific and technical assistance, establishing and maintaining collections of reference reagents.
The Epidemiology Department develops and promotes the application of epidemiological methods to strengthen veterinary public health research and services. It is involved in the sector of animal health and welfare, supporting both national and local programmes for the monitoring, surveillance, control and eradication of animal and zoonotic diseases, as well as assisting the development of contingency plans, outbreak management, livestock disease management and biosecurity programmes.
As a consequence of the high level of multidisciplinary expertise achieved by the IZSVe staff and being at the forefront of new sustainable scientific technologies, at the international level the IZSVe has been appointed as:
- OIE Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease
- FAO Reference Centre for Animal Influenza and Newcastle Disease
- European Union Reference Laboratory (EURL) for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease
- OIE Reference Laboratory for Viral Encephalopathy and Retinopathy of Marine Fish
- OIE Reference Laboratory for Salmonellosis
- OIE Collaborating Centre for Epidemiology, Training and Control of Emerging Avian Diseases
- OIE Collaborating Centre for Diseases at the Animal/Human Interface
- FAO Reference Centre for Rabies
Staff IZSVe on the Project
- Alice Bianco – Veterinarian, WP2 Capacity building for laboratory and vaccine production.
- Francesco Bonfante – Veterinarian, Scientific Committee, WP2 Capacity building for laboratory and vaccine production, Expert in Vaccine Production and Virological Characterization.
- Claudio Mantovani – Science communicator, WP9 Internal Communication.
- Isabella Monne – Veterinarian, Steering Committee, WP2 Capacity building for laboratory and vaccine production, Expert in Genotyping and Molecular Characterization.
- Paolo Mulatti – Veterinarian, WP5 ND Epidemiology.
- Licia Ravarotto – Biologist, WP9 Internal Communication.
- Francesca Scolamacchia – Veterinarian, WP5 ND Epidemiology.
- Calogero Terregino – Veterinarian, Scientific Committee.
- Raffaella Testolin – Administrative Team.